Careful what you say!
I suspect that most women deal with some sort of body image issues even when they are in peak physical condition. I know I certainly do. Never is your body more distorted than it is during pregnancy, which is why I have been so amazed at the comments that come out of other womens' mouths in regards to the current condition of my body. While I am perfectly willing to subject my body to the contortions of pregnancy, I am having a hard time gracefully accepting the tacky comments that seem to come regarding the changes in my body. So with that in mind, I thought I'd make one of those "do's" and "don'ts" lists--all in good humor, of course.
Things that should never be said to a pregnant woman:
- "I hope I'm not showing as much as you are when I'm 16 weeks along."
- "You know, I thought you looked kind of big."
- "Wow, you look like you're about to topple over."
- "I could tell you were pregnant because you looked really tired."
- "Look at your belly!"
- "You are getting so BIG!"
The only things that should be said to a pregnant woman:
- "You look great!" (or fantastic, adorable, snazzy, etc.)
- "I can't get over how good you look!"
- "You are so cute pregnant!" (I hesitate to list this as it can imply that you're not so cute when you're not pregnant, but we'll give the speaker the benefit of the doubt...)
*Note: these lists are subject to editing as I hear more gems, which I am certain I will. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home