Motherhood Is Strange
More than one person has told me that a few weeks after you've had a baby, you won't be able to remember what life before her was like. I beg to differ. I remember very well what life was like before we had a kid. Don't get me wrong...I love my little girl, but my life was a piece of cake before she arrived. I came and went at will, slept in on the weekends, and actually (gasp!)finished tasks.
How am I faring now? I am exhausted. I am up to my eyeballs in poop and puke. I am sleeping in increments of 2 consecutive hours at a time. I am leaking milk out of my breasts which, incidentally, are the size of cantelopes. I am trying to fit a mishapen body back into clothes that used to be a little loose on me. I am wearing clothes (the ones that do fit) with drool spots on them. I am about 4 weeks behind on painting my toes (thank goodness I at least had the foresight to get a haircut before the baby came!). I am showering regularly, but makeup and hair are optional. I am struggling to get anything done other than diaper changes and feedings. And, if I am completely honest with myself, I am just a bit overwhelmed by the new responsibilities that will be around for the next 18 years.
The good news is that I am learning to adapt. So what if the thank you notes aren't written and I have something growing in my toilet? All these inconveniences would ordinarily make me want to scream, but somehow I am making it through in relatively good spirits. I love the time I get to spend with Lyla. Each time she does something new, my heart melts. Cuddling has become more important than cleaning. I can't say I wouldn't mind being able to do everything if I could, but it's strange how motherhood can reverse everything you thought was important.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home